Sunday, October 14, 2007

Chesapeake Region PCA Autocross #7

This guy is not tough.


The final autocross by the Chesapeake Region PCA happened today. I got to race the 911 and had a blast again. The Kimmy (aka the wife) and Betty (aka the friendly Pitt Bull) came. I loved having their support and every one fell in love with Betty.

On my way to the race, I popped into my "PORSCHE" tape deck one of the few cassettes I still own... Firehose, so that I could get stoked on "Brave Captain" aka the morning song, aka Natas part. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptKi6pP5jGU

The day started with a little difficulty. Due to somebody not paying the monthly dues for the storage space that the autocross trailer was housed in the guys who put it together could not get the trailer out until 10am (instead of 7am). this set the start time 2.5 hours behind. Usually the event race starts running heats at 9am. Many of the people who showed up at 8am for check in heard the news and left. But about 24± cars/owners decide to stick it out.

So after an 2 hours of sitting around, a trip to McDonald's, and a few innings of a high school level baseball game (The autocross is at Ripken Stadium, Aberdeen, MD)... the event began.

I had to work the 1st heat, in the infield. Picking up cones (if knocked over) and calling in drivers "Off Course" (result is the driver DNF or Did Not Finish/Disqualified run). I thought that being out there was very educational... I got to see where people made mistakes and some ways to make faster lines. Being out there, I feel is very important and helpful to learning the track.

My first run was my slowest... 71 seconds. I got a little loose in some of the corners. The course was less technical than the previous event. I think that my best score was 67.888ish seconds... although I had a 67.377ish finish, but on that run I hit one cone and that is an automatic 1 second penalty.

Considering the more experienced drivers were about 9 seconds faster than me, I felt that I have improved quite a bit since last race (thank you PGR 3).

This is me:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice update.

It's a bummer that the season is over. Gives you time to tune up for next year. I think you've inspired me to hit the course next year.

If it's not raining over Thanksgiving we'll have to go for a ride. I've found some great roads up here.

.: Chris