Sunday, October 14, 2007

Short Shifter Part 3

This weekend I spent a lot of time with the 911. Friday night I began working on the short shifter install. OMG was that tough. What I thought would take 2± hours (lead to believe by my signed copy of 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911, I ordered the book from Pelican Parts and it came signed, weird) ended up taking me 6± hours. Beyond an oil change, fuel filter change, tire rotation, replacement of air filters... I have zero experience fixing cars. But I decided that I was going to take on the challenge of installing a short shifter to the 911 and the recommended bushing replacement. Let's just say I must have put together and taken apart the shifter mechanism at the least 9 times (9 times), because of missed steps, parts that needed to be drilled bigger, stupidity, lack of attention to detail, and a few other things I am too embarrassed to talk about. But low and behold I did it and damn proud of it. She shifts like a dream now... tighter, more even more mechanical and of course shorter. Whew. I hope that I have the stamina to keep upgrading the 911.

No comments: